Albert Camus believed that at the very base of life, there is only absurdity. Absurdity means something which does not make any sense. Likewise, for Camus life doesn’t make sense. Many other writers believe in the absurdity of life.
This absurdity is an example of something that is felt by each of us. There are days when nothing makes sense. We get surrounded by chaos and noise. At that point in daily lives, in time we feel discouraged and think of giving up whatever we are doing in life.
Our mind is full of thoughts and dreams, but the heart is so disheartened that it does not really feel good about doing like anything. We all face days like these when we feel a lack of courage and motivation for doing what we do every day.
It is then we ask ourselves how we get to feel motivated.
How should I come out of this mood or feeling?
And then comes the wonderful thing, the other aspect, the second nature which is a matter of habit formation, discipline. We need to have discipline in our lives. Because when motivation doesn’t help then it is the discipline that gets the job done. Be it going to the gym, reaching the office on time, or studying for an exam.
Do not get deluded by reading the heading of this blog post. Motivation and discipline are not medicines that you can take to gain success. There is no one winner between motivation vs discipline
These two are to be embedded into the way of your daily grind of life and more importantly your thinking. Unless you do that success would be always far away from your very own dreams.
So take a deep breath and read on!
Define motivation and discipline
We have often heard the phrase, “Are you motivated?” This phrase is used by several motivational speakers and celebrities around the world. In the speeches, they give up on achieving end goal or something they tell us that they were always so motivated to do what they are doing.
But we need to understand that rationale is not something that we can gain just by hearing someone speak about it. Yes, it can give a push, a discipline motivation but that would last for short while only.
So to understand how to build inspiration and motivation fades stay motivated we first need to know what motivation is.
Motivation is a force or a feeling which drives or compels one to do a certain thing or an activity. This feeling comes from various sources such as dreams, values, religion, etc. This feeling is born inside you. It is this feeling which makes people achieve goals and fulfill their desires in life. Now it could be divided into two categories.
The two types of motivation:
- Intrinsic: this type comes into action internally through one’s interest in doing something, or the enjoyment gained by it.
- Extrinsic: this type comes emerges from external factors. Such as money, rewards, awards, recognition, etc.
Some examples of motivation are as follows:
- A student is motivated to study through the night for the exam tomorrow.
- A You Tuber is motivated to edit his\her video and post it on the same day.
- A psychologist is motivated to cure his patient.
- A researcher is motivated to complete his research for the betterment of society.
- An athlete is motivated to work out thrice a day to become the fastest sprinter.
Now, it is not necessary that one can only be motivated to do or achieve great things in life. One person can be equally motivated to buy groceries after a tiring day or go to a Zumba class early in the morning. But here one must team is not just motivated to achieve goals, but also disciplined.
Discipline refers to a set of practices that governs your daily routine and behavior. This also means that when in life you are tempted to do something which is against the principles you have set for yourself then you do not do that thing.
So control is not only the act of doing but also the act of not doing. Again just like motivation and punishment, we have two categories for discipline as well.
The two types of discipline:
- Intrinsic: this type of regulation works by the guidelines set by you. No external authority has power over it.
- Extrinsic: this type of control is governed by guidelines that are not set by you and are not in your control.
It works on self-improvement. Whenever one wished to improve the quality of self then it is the right direction that one needs to maintain in life.
For example, if one wishes to have weight loss lower his\her weight then a strict diet has to be followed. And this will happen with the concept brain power of habit formation.
So, when you will be disciplined to follow a healthy diet every day then it will cultivate into a habit. Finally, you will achieve this new habit through your willpower.
Willpower could also be confused with a false concept of habit. But understand that willpower is not just mental but biological as well. To get out of habit of something which your brain or body is used to then you will need to work on the biology of habits in your body as well.
Some examples of discipline are as follows:
- A student is disciplined to set his timetable and study according to it.
- A You Tuber is disciplined to shoot his video on time.
- A psychologist is disciplined in carefully listening to his patient.
- A researcher is disciplined in carrying out his research.
- An athlete is disciplined to work out every day.
Benefits of motivation
Inspiration to do something makes you an optimistic, productive, and happy person. These three things help you in excelling in varying aspects of your life. Some of them are as follows:
- Increases productivity: People that are motivated tend to be more concentrated and effective at work, which results in higher levels of productivity.
- Enhances performance: those who are motivated perform better in a range of contexts, including academics, athletics, and the workplace. This is because they are more dedicated, persistent, and willing to work hard to reach their objectives.
- Boosts confidence: People who are inspired to work for their task, has more confidence.
- Forms good personality: Impulse to work more and pushing oneself beyond comfort zone enhances your self.
- Improve your mental health: As your mind is full of positive thoughts and you are passionate about whatever you are doing in your life, your mental health will feel a boost.
Hence, motivation has positive benefits. But also keep the point in mind that motivation is something that you will need to give yourself an effort to from time to time.
Benefits of discipline
The basic function of regualtion is to make you poise. The more controlled, conscious brain activity and conscious brain activity and power that you have over yourself the more refined your personality will have. There are some benefits of control originating from its main function.
- Increases calmness: Composure and restraint are qualities that may be developed through discipline, allowing people to withstand temptation and make wiser choices.
- Increases productivity: People who have discipline tend to be more well-organized, effective, and focused, which increases output.
- Builds positive habits: Maintaining a system of rules or regulations over time might help people develop good habits and get rid of negative ones.
- Enhances time management: People who have good time management skills are more successful and productive in both their personal and professional life.
- Increases self-esteem: People’s self-esteem and confidence can rise when they continuously stick to their plans and commitments.
You would notice that there are some common benefits between motivation and discipline. Take, for example, they both promise to increase output. The underlying difference between motivation vs. takes discipline, is that motivation takes discipline as said above does not last long.
So motivation would increase your capacity for a short period. On the other, if you imbibe some self discipline and control in motivation then you can achieve small goals for a longer period of increased effort and performance.
Therefore, there is a difference between the approach of motivation and discipline serves managing one self. Both are focused on specific goal of self-improvement but remember that if motivation is a matter of thought then discipline is action.
Strategies for building motivation
The following strategies would help you gain longer periods of fitness levels of focus and motivation and would ensure that you get your exercise and the most out of it.
Some of the strategies are mentioned below:
- Discover your intrinsic motivation. Your intrinsic motivation is determined by your values and interests. Finding things that you like and find personally fulfilling might help you become more motivated.
- Having a coach or mentor to hold you responsible might help you maintain your motivation and dedication to your objectives.
- Use visualization methods to help you see yourself reaching your objectives. This will give you a clear mental image of what success looks like and will help you become more motivated.
- Making little, regular progress towards objectives can help you gain momentum and a sense of accomplishment that can help you become more motivated.
- Maintaining one’s physical, emotional, and mental well-being may help people stay motivated and prevent burnout.
- Being willing to modify plans or goals can help people maintain motivation and respond to shifting circumstances.
- Try celebrating small achievements. This will keep burning the lamp of motivation inside you.
You can alter these business ideas and your business strategies according to yourself. Do this so that you can apply it in your daily business life and improve it.
Strategies for developing discipline
When one or team develops strategies of discipline they focused on achieving the task. It takes discipline is not about you but about the task you wish to accomplish and complete. So, set your own dreams and strategies according to your task to facilitate the process.
Some of the strategies are mentioned below:
- Create definite, precise goals: People may remain dedicated to their priorities and focused by having definite, specific goals.
- Set work priorities: Setting task priorities based on significance and urgency can help people stay focused and prevent distractions.
- Make a timetable: Setting up a routine or plan may help people stay on task, cultivate consistency, and practice discipline in their everyday life.
- Practice time management: People who are disciplined and productive tend to have strong time management abilities, such as the ability to divide activities into smaller, more manageable chunks and resist the urge to put things off.
- Develop accountability: Being responsible for one’s choices and actions can assist people in being more responsible and disciplined.
- Restraint exercises: Exercises and temptation resistance can assist people in avoiding distractions.
There is also another difference between the two. You ‘build’ motivation through exercise and ‘develop’ discipline. This means that both discipline and motivation fades and you have to make strategies that help you stay motivated so that you can develop control over yourself.
Best books by English authors in the market for motivation and discipline
As humans, we are biologically and chemically bound to be mesmerized by language. So of course, when you wish to see human brain and understand the intrinsic motivation and discipline of the human brain, then nothing could be better than reading books.
The top books for motivation are as follows:
- Daniel H. Pink’s book “Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us” analyses the science of motivation and provides insights into what inspires individuals.
- The book “The Power of Positive Thinking” by Norman Vincent Peale offers useful advice for cultivating a good outlook and maintaining motivation.
- Tony Robbins’ book “Awaken the Giant Within” offers useful advice for developing and attaining objectives, getting through challenges, and maintaining motivation.
- Robin Sharma’s book “The 5 AM Club: Own Your Morning, Elevate Your Life” provides helpful advice on how to start each day with a purpose and maintain that motivation throughout the day.
- Viktor E. Frankl’s book “Man’s Search for Meaning” provides insights into how meaning and purpose may inspire individuals to overcome obstacles.
The top books for discipline are as follows:
- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin, “Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win” – This book gives doable tactics for acquiring routine and accepting accountability for one’s deeds and choices.
- “The Compound Effect” by Darren Hardy – This book offers useful advice for creating successful habits, maintaining calm, and attaining achievement via regular, little activities.
- Jocko Willink’s book “Discipline Equals Freedom: Field Manual” provides concrete advice on how to cultivate development in all facets of life, including health, money, and relationships.
- Brian Tracy’s book “The Power of Discipline: 7 Ways It Can Change Your Life” – This book provides useful advice on how to cultivate self-control, use time wisely, and succeed in all facets of life.
- Admiral William H. McRaven’s book “Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life…And Maybe the World” – This book offers doable methods for cultivating development and attaining achievement via little, everyday efforts.
Balancing Motivation and Discipline
Until now we have read about motivation and discipline. We understood what motivation and discipline are and what are the different strategies for developing them. Now to know which to use when and where we need to understand the most common difference between both the discipline motivation and motivation between them. That is that motivation is short-term while both discipline and motivation are long-term.
So if discipline serves you are task and acquires consistency for the long run or a longer period then choose discipline. But if you are stuck in the completion process of a task then you choose motivation. Motivation will get your task done.
To conclude, we can say that there is no one option to choose from motivation vs discipline. understand the meaning of motivation and self-discipline. It is important because only then you will be able to apply these two concepts in your life.
As we read that mitigation is something that comes from within whereas discipline and motivation is something external factors that develop over time. According to this now you can plan long-term goals and formulate a strategy to use them in your daily lives.
Work on intrinsic motivation. Develop extrinsic motivation.
Lastly, you can always read the book read books that will help you know more about motivation, focus, and discipline. The books recommended above will not only help you in understanding these two key terms but would also help you to design strategies and habits for achieving them.